COVID-19 Resources: Click here for the Parenting Center’s COVID-19 resources for Providers and Parents


This information is provided by the American Academy of Pediatrics.  For the complete first aid guide, click here.

If your child has been exposed to or ingested a poison, call the poison center at 1-800-222-1222. A poison expert in your area is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Swallowed poisons any nonfood substance is a potential poison. Do not give anything by mouth or induce vomiting. Call the poison center right away. Do not delay, but try to have the substance label or name available when you call.

Fumes, gas, or smoke get your child into fresh air and call 911 or the fire department. If your child is not breathing, start CPR and continue until help arrives.

Skin exposure if acids, lye, pesticides, chemicals, poisonous plants, or any potentially poisonous substance comes in contact with your child’s skin, eyes, or hair, brush off any residual material while wearing rubber gloves, if possible. Remove contaminated clothing. Wash skin, eyes, or hair with large amount of water or mild soap and water. Do not scrub. Call the poison center for further advice.

If your child is unconscious, becoming drowsy, having convulsions, or having trouble breathing, call 911 or an emergency number. Bring the poisonous substance (safely contained) with you to the hospital.

Important note: The information contained here should not be used as a substitute for the medical care and advice of your pediatrician. There may be variations in treatment that your pediatrician may recommend based on individual facts and circumstances.


Source First Aid (Copyright © 2011 American Academy of Pediatrics)