Supporting Language and Literacy Skills in Preschool Aged ChildrenSeptember 8, 2021
As a follow up to last week’s tip on supporting language and literacy skills in children ages 0-2, here are some tips on how you can discuss book sharing for children ages 2-5 years!
Keep reading for a few tips from Reach Out and Read that you can share with families during your next visit!
Reading with preschool aged children:
- Encourage parents to have their child sit close or on their lap while reading
- Tell parents to ask questions about the story
- Encourage parents to let their child tell them stories
- Suggest that parents make weekly visits to the children’s room at the library so their child can choose more books
- Children like longer books that tell stories; books without words; alphabet and counting books; books about families, friends, and going to school; and a book at bedtime